Please be advised of the City of Bonita Springs policies that relate to temporary housing following a disaster.
- A Temporary Use Permit must be obtained prior to the placement of a temporary housing unit on a lot or parcel. There is no fee for a permit for temporary housing associated with Hurricane Ian. This application was last updated on January 16, 2023.
- If a fire or other emergency as defined in F.S. § 252.34 renders a single-family residence unfit for human habitation, the temporary use of a mobile home, travel trailer or park-trailer located on the single-family lot during rehabilitation of the original residence or construction of a new residence may be permitted, subject to the following regulations:
- For properties located in a flood zone where the temporary housing unit is not highway ready (i.e. licensed, registered, and drivable), the maximum duration of the temporary mobile home, travel trailer, or park trailer is 180 days, with the ability to extend as appropriate.
- For properties located outside of a flood hazard area, the maximum duration of the temporary mobile home, travel trailer, or park trailer is 18 months, or 540 days after the President of the United States issues a disaster declaration (the President issued a disaster declaration on September 29, 2022).
Conditions for use:
- Water and sanitary facilities must be provided. If sanitary facilities are unavailable, a condition will be placed on the permit that will require waste disposal at an approved dumping location in the area or removal by a waste disposal provider.
- The temporary housing unit shall be located entirely on the property and shall not encroach into road rights-of-way, adjacent properties, or easements.
- The temporary housing unit must be removed from the property within ten (10) days after a certificate of occupancy has been issued for the new or rehabilitated residence, or upon expiration of the temporary use permit (subject to the timeframes in subsections a and b), whichever occurs first.
- Placement or setting of a mobile home or park trailer must comply with all floodplain management requirements of Chapter 24, Floodplain Management, of the City of Bonita Springs City Code.
All travel trailers must be removed from the property during any potential major storm events.
If you have questions related to temporary housing as the result of Hurricane Ian, please contact the City of Bonita Springs Community Development Department at (239) 444-6150.