Signs - Submittal Requirements
SAMPLE UNIFIED SIGN PLANS ACCEPTED
Sign band with sign measurements: A wall sign may not exceed 80% of the sign-band area in all directions.
In accordance with LDC. Sec. 6-113(4)(a): No sign shall exceed 80 percent of the width of the unit(s) or the building with a minimum 10 percent clear on each outer edge of the unit(s) or of the building. This was interpreted to mean the sign-band of a facade as noted below. Such measurements must be provided with each sign permit where applicable.
New Monument / Ground Sign
In accordance with LDC. Sec. 6-113 the maximum dimensions for a new conforming monument sign are 8ft height x 12ft width ( opens in a new windowordinance 15-03, page 36).
- Site-plan showing exact location of proposed sign
- Sign rendering showing full measurements, with landscaping superimposed
Any monument sign (City wide) which exceeds 8’ high (measured from the crown of the servicing road) and 12’ wide, shall be considered a non-conforming sign and will be subject to regulations in the non-conforming section of the sign code.
For a tenant copy change on a non-conforming monument sign, our office must receive the following:
- A current picture of the existing monument sign showing all tenant panels.
- The total square footage of the entire copy area which will total 100%. Each tenant panel (not letters and/or logos) changed will count toward the 25% yearly permitted copy change. Every subsequent panel change will accrue toward 25% permitted within a twelve (12) month period – in accordance with opens in a new windowSec. 6-39(c). Once 25% has been reached; no further copy changes will be permitted until a twelve (12) month period has elapsed, or until the sign is brought into conformity with current code.
- Twelve (12) month period: The twelve (12) month period begins when the twenty five (25) threshold has been reached, starting when the first tenant panel change was permitted.
- Sign #1 @ 10% – applied: 02-07-2015 (15% balance remaining)
- Sign #2 @ 05% – applied: 07-10-2015 (10% balance remaining)
- Sign #3 @ 10% – applied: 10-12-2015 (00% remaining) 12 month count begins from date sign #1 was applied. This means 10% will become available again 02-07-2016 — prior to this date no additional panel changes will be permitted.
- This allows property owners to change tenant panel(s) earlier as opposed to starting the 12 month cycle from the date of the last permit.
Once a tenant panel has been changed, the background color will become the default color for all subsequent tenant panel changes. This is required in order to comply with uniformity addressed in the new sign code.
6-71 (a) Visibility triangle. No sign shall be erected which would impair visibility at a street intersection or driveway entrance. Within the area formed by the right-of-way lines of intersecting streets or streets and driveways, and a straight line connecting points on such right-of-way lines at a distance of 25 feet from their point of intersection, such connecting lines extending beyond the points to the curved lines, there shall be a cleared space with no obstructions between the height of three feet and the height of ten feet above the average grade of each street as measured at the centerline thereof.
Signs proposed within an easement (as determined by a survey or plat) must obtain administrative approval by completing the following documents:
- opens in a new windowAdmin Action Application
- opens in a new windowAdmin Action Supp. G (Easement Encroachment)
We encourage applicants to download and carefully read the new code as it contains the above information in much greater detail. If you’re still unclear; or are in need of additional assistance, please call the planner-on-call, by dialing (239) 444-6166. The new sign ordinance may be downloaded by opens in a new windowvisiting MuniCode online.