Click the following questions to expand/contract answers provided by staff. If you require additional information, please dial (239) 444-6150 and our receptionist will route your call to staff who will assist you.
Pursuant to F.S. 381.986, a Medical Marijuana Treatment Center Dispensing Facility, Cultivating Facility and Processing Facility shall comply with the Florida Building Code and the Florida Fire Prevention Code as amended and all applicable ULDC Property Development Regulations and any other County Agency requirements.
The City of Bonita Springs City Council voted not to extend the moratorium on medical marijuana dispensaries on 03/07/2018. Pursuant to Fla. Stat. 381.986, the City permits cannabis dispensaries to be located where a zoning district allows pharmacies. The dispensary must be associated with one of the vertically aligned companies approved by the Department of Health’s Office of Compassionate Use, and must conform to all State requirements for dispensaries.
Distance is measured from any public entrance or exit of the establishment in a straight line to the nearest property line of a school.
Kindly visit Florida Statues by selecting the following link: Florida Statute F.S. 381.986
Visit the Florida Department of Health website to be directed to the Office of Medical Marijuana Use Page.
Along with the Commercial Business Use Application and required documents, the Applicant shall submit a signed and sealed letter from a surveyor that confirms the Medical Marijuana Treatment Center Dispensing Facility, Cultivating Facility and Processing Facility is not located within 500 feet of an existing Elementary or Secondary School.
Staff will also confirm any other LDC provisions specific to the Zoning District. The Commercial Business Use Application will not be approved by zoning until approval from the State for a Dispensing Facility at that location is received.
The Applicant shall submit a ZVL application and a signed and sealed letter from a surveyor that confirms the Medical Marijuana Treatment Center Dispensing Facility, Cultivating Facility and Processing Facility is not located within 500 feet of an existing Elementary or Secondary School.
Note the following required steps/items to obtain an occupational business license
- Obtain a Surveyor’s Affidavit (from a Florida licensed Surveyor), stating the proposed location is not within 500ft of an elementary of secondary school in all directions (see 500ft separation information above).
- Download and apply for a Zoning Verification Letter. Please provide the Surveyor’s Statement with this request. This will confirm the proposed USE is permitted where proposed (permitted where pharmacies are allowed, submit to the following).
- IF APPLICABLE, when applying for a Commercial Building Permit, the same items required below for a Commercial Use Application are required upon submittal.
- Once you receive the Zoning Verification Letter stating the USE is permitted, download and complete a Commercial Use Application and Commercial License Tax Form. Submit documents along with items #1 and #3 listed above. Please also submit the MMTC company license, as one of the vertically aligned companies through the Office of Medical Marijuana Use.
- Final out the commercial building permit and obtain a CC/CO.
- You will need to coordinate with the State of Florida and obtain a final inspection of the proposed location.
- Once the State completes their inspection, submit the final State of Florida approval/authorization letter for the new location to this office, including the Commercial Use Permit number in the submittal. These can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once item #7 is received, staff will sign/approve the Lee County Business-Tax Form to take to the Lee County Tax Collector’s Office. Once the Tax Collector issues a Business Tax Receipt, you may open for business.
The Commercial Use Application will remain on hold (not approved) until final authorization from the State of Florida on official authorization letter is received.