AC Changeout Applications Have New Requirements
From the 2010 Florida Building Code Energy:
184.108.40.206 REPLACEMENT HVAC EQUIPMENT
220.127.116.11.1 Duct sealing upon equipment replacement (MANDATORY) At the time of the total replacement of HVAC evaporators and condensing units, all accessible, (a minimum of 30 inches clearance), joints and seams in the air distribution system shall be inspected and sealed where needed using reinforced mastic or code approved equivalent and shall include a signed certification by the contractor that is attached to the air handler unit stipulating that this work has been accomplished.
- Ducts in conditioned space.
- Joints or seams that are already sealed with fabric and mastic.
- If system is tested and repaired as necessary.
18.104.22.168.2 Replacement equipment sizing (MANDATORY) An AC contractor or licensed Florida PE shall submit a nationally recognized method based sizing calculation to the code official at the time of permit application for total replacement of the condensing and evaporator components of HVAC systems in accordance with Florida law and the provisions of Section 403.6.1 or Section S03.2.1, as applicable.
What this means for the applicant:
- Each application for an AC change-out will need to include Manual J sizing calculations.
- Each installation’s final inspection will need the signed certification attached to the air handler.